FD&A Fundamentals - Non-Domestic Level 3
The FIA AO Level 3 Fundamentals of the Recommendations for Fire Detection and Fire Alarm Systems in Non-Domestic Buildings is intended to develop and provide understanding of the fundamental recommendations placed on fire detection and fire alarm systems. Technicians will understand and be able to reference the recommendations as set out in BS 5839-1. With the exception of specific lists and references, this qualification does not include reference to commentary and is focussed solely on the statements made in the recommendations. Any areas in which commentary has been referenced for the purpose of this qualification are specifically identified in the syllabus below.
Learner Benefits and Objective
Learners successfully completing this qualification will be able to make reference to the standard for its recommendations with regard to FD&A systems. They will have understanding of the recommendations and know where to find each within the standard, including recommendations for:
• Section 1; Scope, Normative references, Terms and Definitions
• Design considerations
• Limitation of false alarms and unwanted fire signals
• Commissioning and handover
• User responsibilities
• Annexes to BS 5839-1
The objectives of this qualification are to:
• Prepare the learner for employment in the FD&A sector
• Prepare the learner for career progression to other qualifications in the FD&A sector, in particular for qualifications focussed on the individual roles of persons working on FD&A systems
The qualification is made up of a single compulsory unit.
|Compulsory Units||Guided Learning||Directed Learning||Invigilated Assessment||TQT|
|Level 3 Fundamentals of the Recommendations for Fire Detection and Fire Alarm Systems in Non-Domestic Premises||32 Hrs||4 Hrs||1.5 Hrs||37.5 Hrs|
|TQT for this qualification||32 Hrs||4 Hrs||1.5 Hrs||37.5 Hrs|
• Age Range - This qualification is approved for learners aged 16 and above
• Geographic Location – This qualification is recognised by the regulators for England, Wales and Northern Ireland and is therefore suitable for learners working in each of these UK Countries, changes have been made to the qualification criteria in order to reflect the specific legislative and regulatory requirements of each
• While not yet recognised by the regulators for Scotland, this qualification has also been developed with a view to future recognition in this UK country and changes have been made for the benefit of learners located in Scotland and the Border areas
• Learner Entry Requirements – There are no pre-requisite entry requirements for registration and completion of this qualification. However, learners should be proficient to level 2 in core skills (Literacy, Numeracy and Communication)
This qualification will serve as an early step in a career in the fire industry and will form a basis for learners who later wish to progress to other roles, specifically for career progression toward specialised qualifications working on roles in the FD&A sector.