FD&A System Designer Level 3
The FIA AO Level 3 in Fire Detection and Alarm Design Theory and Regulatory Requirements is intended to provide technicians with the knowledge and skills necessary to work on the design of fire detection and fire alarms systems. Technicians will understand the specific requirements of current and relevant UK legislation, BS 5839 alongside other associated standards, the technologies available and their application, through to certificating the design and record keeping.
This qualification is not linked to any manufacturer of FD&A equipment and will not include specific requirements set by those manufacturers for making connections, programming and testing. It is strongly recommended that designers complete product specific training from their chosen manufacturer in addition to completing this qualification prior to working on any installed system.
Learner Objective and Benefits
Learners completing this qualification will be able to design a Fire Detection and Alarm System for most premises, there will remain special circumstances where designers will require more specialised knowledge and subject matter expert support. Learners will however be able to apply the design principles gained through this qualification to produce system designs for comprehensive and effective coverage in accordance with the requirements of the premises, its use and the recommendations of the Fire Risk Assessment and Fire Strategy. In particular learners will have appropriate knowledge, understanding and application of:
• Current Legislative and regulatory requirements with reference to any differences in requirements/recommendations across regions/nations of the UK Design requirements with reference to differences in requirements/recommendations across regions/nations of the UK
• Emergency Lighting recommendations in relation to FD&A Systems
• Evacuation strategy in relation to FD&A systems and compartmentation
• Integrating FD&A systems with automatic suppression
• Principles of fire engineering and integrating system design with an engineered solution
• Requirements for the FD&A system and the application of system design in order to fulfil specific needs
• The need to work with third parties and the application of system design in order to fulfil specific needs
• Application of FD&A system design in order to fulfil the FD&A requirements of interested parties
• Application of advanced design principles, complex premises, multi building systems and interfacing with other systems
• Designing systems with consideration of the whole life of the system, including safe and effective Installation, commissioning, inspection, test and subsequent removal
The qualification is made up of 4 compulsory units.
|Compulsory Units||Guided Learning||Directed Learning||Invigilated Assessment||TQT|
|FIA AO Level 2 Foundation in Fire Detection and Alarm||16 Hrs||1Hr||1:10 Hr||18:10 Hrs|
|FIA AO Level 2 Environmental for Field Service Technicians||4 Hrs||0 Hr||1 Hr||5 Hrs|
|FIA AO Level 2 Health and Safety for Field Service Technicians||8 Hrs||0 Hr||1 Hr||9 Hrs|
|FIA AO Level 3 FD&A Advanced Designer||40 Hrs||16 Hr||3 Hrs||59 Hrs|
|TQT for this qualification||68 Hrs||17 Hrs||6:10 Hrs||91:10 Hrs|
This qualification is graded as Pass/Fail, a successful pass for all units will be required for award.
• Age Range - This qualification is approved for learners aged 18 and above
• Geographic Location – This qualification is recognised by the regulators for England, Wales and Northern Ireland and is therefore suitable for learners working in each of these national regions, changes have been made to the qualification criteria and assessment question bank in order to reflect the specific legislative requirements of each of these nations
• Learner Entry Requirements – There are no pre-requisite entry requirements for registration and completion of this qualification, however learners should be proficient to level 2 in core skills (Literacy, Numeracy and Communication)
• It is recommended that learners entering this qualification have previously gained field experience either in FD&A and/or appropriate levels of education/experience in associated industries
This qualification does not serve as a prescribed pre-requisite for any other qualifications